We know that East Cambridgeshire District Council’s record on tackling fly-tipping in Sutton frankly isn’t that great. But how does our district council compare with others? The official league table of councils’ fly-tipping performance across England paints a less than impressive picture.
Comparing East Cambridgeshire and neighbouring South Cambridgeshire’s performance in 2011/2012, it appears that:
- South Cambridgeshire issued 18 warning letters, East Cambridgeshire none
- South Cambridgeshire issued 13 statutory notices, East Cambridgeshire none
- South Cambridgeshire issued 25 fixed penalty notices, East Cambridgeshire none
- South Cambridgeshire issued 10 formal cautions, East Cambridgeshire just one
- South Cambridgeshire mounted 13 prosecutions, East Cambridgeshire none
- South Cambridgeshire collected £5480 in fines for fly-tipping, East Cambridgeshire £0
At the very least, that’s a ‘must try harder’, East Cambs. Surely this is something our local councillors should be pressing the council to improve, and to fund properly? It is, after all, a pretty basic council responsibility to chase up and make an example of people who dump rubbish indiscriminately and spoil our local environment.